My Blog World

Disclaimer: should have been posted yesterday, but computer died on me. Goes nicely with the theme of the post.

Baby Seedless Watermelon


While I told my sister what I did last night, I realized just how easy it is to jazz up your life when blogging. I will give you the tale of the polished blog worthy evening and add in italics all the real thoughts and feelings surrounding what ened up being downright horrible evening. That way you don't have to sit around at home reading my blog being utterly and completely jealous of my fabulous life and wishing you too could be sitting out on the veranda (or savannah) drinking mint julips (the blog always leaves out the mosquitoes, heat and next day hangover).

So here goes nothing....

Around 8:30am, I rolled over, rubbed my eyes and listened as I heard my roommate dashing around the apartment grabbing up her last minute things she needed before leaving for work. The door opened and closed slammed and the apartment was still. I pushed myself up, brewed some free trade organic coffee and sat down to open my laptop after clicking though numerous screens warning me about battery levels, finally made it to the Internet only to have it shut off. My daily routine started with coffee, checked yoga schedule already had missed the 9:30, ate some greek yogurt and berries and worked on updating my blog layout most frustrating thing in the whole world, html, css, all these codes and all I want is the header picture centered?? why does this have to be such a pain!

Grabbed up my towel, mat and changed into my yoga pants and top and headed out the door. The sun was shining and I was pumped up on coffee jittery, ready for class. The room was hot, always smelly and class was great. So fun to be in room full of such hard workers, but still haven't talk to anyone? My foot was so close to wrapping in eagle!

Left yoga and picked up a baby watermelon costing practically the same price as the large melon and ended up being quite flavor-less, on-sale raspberries and strawberries at the corner store aka kroger.

Home again for carrott sticks and cilantro jalapeno hummus from whole foods. Showered, hydrated and rested for a bit. Ran a few errands and finally after playing the nice card recieved 150$ refund for our flooding back in winter. about time and only 150$????

Last minute I decided to head down and sign up for the neighborhood harbor town 5k race that evening. Adorable set up, people everywhere in running gear. I filled out my form and could feel my heart beating a bit faster as my excitement grew! I LOVE races. Sweat was running down my face, back and arms, hot and humid. Got my number, bag and head back home to change and get ready.

Walked the 1/2 mile back down to the starting point with 15 minutes to race time. I love runners. They are so serious and quirky. Tons of them were doing their warms-ups: running the path a few times, stretching, shuffling, skipping and other silly running techinques. And all the girls had on my big ugly watch too. If I had worn mine I would have said "Hey like your watch!" (very mom-esque type thing to say). But, instead I made a few loops without seeing anyone I knew. Then I ran into one of the ladies from nail bar who I always talk running with. We chatted for a bit, then ran into a few more friends all dolled up in their running gear make-up dripping down their faces in the heat, no real runners put on make-up before a race. Blocked out of convo and just akwardly stood, wishing I'd just stood solo.

I found a good spot in the middle and bounced on my toes a few times and then we were off. So exilerating. The whole street flooded with athletes of all different kinds. Pushing passed each other with a smile and sheer evil brewing in their/our hearts as they/we knew they/we had to come in first. Quite a few "on your lefts" until finally the crowd evened out and those that thought they were running their pace suddenly had to stop, keel over and catch their breath.

The race felt good. Mile 1: 8:30, Mile 2: 18 and End: 28. Started off a little to fast, I do always get excited too! This is practically the same pace I ran the whole germantown half. Still can't figure out how that was quite possible.

Always exciting to run through the finish line. People yelling, cheering and you are bombarded with waters, sports drinks and free gifts. (We got sweat wicking hats! So excited I have been needing a new one!). Made a loop and surveyed the crowd. Great set up: huge stage with a fun band, smoothies from smoothie king, sonic food, free beer and tons more. I found my friends friends? again and we headed into nail bar I trailed along behind as they popped in, feeling quite akward and unsure? for a beer. Chatted for a bit and they grabbed a sonic bag lets save this for late night food!!--me: yuck!

Then it was over. Tired of feeling strange. I left and took the scenic route along the river  or didn't want anyone to see me alone?? The sun was setting and it had cooled off quite a bit. Succuess. My roommate was home cooking up a pizza. She had been away for a week on holiday visiting her family in South Hampton. It was wonderful to hear about her vacaction. no italics here??

Showered quickly, grabbed my white linen shorts, flowy black top and closed toe urban outffiters brown wedges and headed out the door to watch the redbirds game. We watched the game from the rooftop of the YMCA. I only arrived to see the 9th inning and each group of people were seperated into clusters just hoping their buzz would kick in soon and they'd have enough confidence to chat with the cluster to the left. After the game they lost there was  spectacular show of fireworks. I'd never seen fireworks so close before. They were indeed stunning.

Everyone else decided to pop around the corner for a beer a the local tavern: bar dog. I decided it was time for me to turn in the evening. I arrived home to my central gradens house and crashed into my king size bed if only, housesitting/playing house?

Maybe we should put a spin on things every now and then...you may even be able trick yourself into thinking "hey, that kind of was a fun night after all!"

2 comments:

  1. FABULOUS writing, girl! More like this, please? Reminds me of the post-Italy trip report I wrote back in '05---all cheery, upbeat, lush descriptions of to-die-for food, stunning architectural/historical tours, scenery, art, wine, bliss, blah blah...then I went back and did just as you have, put in italics the BACKstory (near-fatal stomach bug that meant I spent the entire scenic train-ride from Rome to Naples hugging the train's toilet, my husband's violent meltdown in the Paris airport on the way home, falling off a step in the Sistine Chapel and screaming "s**t!" right there in front of God and the Pope...) Seriously, you may have found your voice with this sort of narrative! I love it.

    ReplyDelete